Re: [Health] Prescription Workflow Issues

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health] Prescription Workflow Issues
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:26:01 -0300

Hi Chris !

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Christoph H. Larsen
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear Luis,
> Thanks for your help!
>
> On 08/03/12 12:45, Luis Falcon wrote:
>> Hi Chris !
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 5:07 AM, Christoph H. Larsen
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Thanks a lot, Luis.
>>>
>>> Question regarding the prescription workflow. If I prescribe a drug to a
>>> patient, it does - naturally - show in the list of prescriptions, but
>>> not in the list of medications in the Patient facility. Does this make
>>> sense???
>> Is done on purpose. The prescription process / order does not
>> necessarily means that the patient has takent the drug.
>> One example will be DOTS when dealing with Tuberculosis medication.
> Thought so, but it is still inconvenient, and not quite in line with
> other EMRs. Essentially, it means that I have to double-entry every meds
> I prescribe, which may be regarded as a turn-off by many busy doctors.
> Any doctor should, in any case, check whether the drugs have been taken.
> We DO have, in the Patient facility, Medication, the tic boxes
> "Discontinued" and "Course completed". Should that not suffice, and thus
> streamline the process???

The problem I see is that when we have a centralized database, where
the patient goes to different health centers or doctors, we might not
be able to track the prescription that was done in a previous one.

I do agree that we can find something intermediate. Thoughts ?

>>> Also, the prescription workflow seems a bit awkward: When I am dealing
>>> with a patient, I have to go to Prescriptions, re-select that patient,
>>> and select the pharmacy from the long list of all parties.
>> No. Use the related action (little curved green arrow on top). It will
>> take you directly to the prescription process from the patient form,
>> and it will automatically fill in the patient name.
>> This is useful for many other patient-related processe, like
>> laboratory, evaluations, ...
> Oh dear, I should retire!
No :-) We need to document the prescription process at Wikibooks.

>>> Would it be possible to:
>>> (1) introduce a field "is_pharmacy" to select pharmacies more easily,
>>> ideally with the way to select a DEFAULT pharmacy on top of that?
>> Agree.
>>> (2) create a button within the patient facility to easily issue
>>> prescriptions for this specific patient (pre-selected, that is)?
>> Use the related action that already does that.
>>> (3) to add prescribed drugs automatically to the list of medication
>>> within the Patient facility?
>> It should not be a 1:1 relationship between prescription and medication.
>>> (4) to use "prn" in ADDITION to the existing table of frequencies?
>>> Presently, it is either "prn" or other frequencies, which is medically
>>> incorrect.
>> Polysemic conflict :-). In PRN in the prescription line tree field
>> means "print", and is not related to "Pro re nata" / "as needed" term.
>> I will write the whole word "print" in the tree view to avoid conflicts.
> The problem is, as discussed with Andrew already, the mix-up of logical
> lines in the application frequency drop-down menu: qds (or qid) is a
> frequency, and it can be either "reg" or "prn". In effect, we need
> another drop-down menu, or a "prn" selection box (as non-prn = reg).
Great ! Sorry I missed the point . Can you please enter it as a task
or bug ? We still have time to have this feature  for 1.4.4

>>> I sent further suggestions last night.
>>> Also, in general terms, how can I select one record as default (e.g. for
>>> the above pharmacy issue) in generic terms?
>> We would use the system properties for the company.
> Did not get this: What I mean is: How could I, for instance, define a
> default pharmacy, if drugs are usually dispensed by a favourite pharmacy
> in town, yet others might have to help in case of drug shortage? This is
> just an example, but I have, so far, failed to figure out how to set
> defaults for boolean or multiple selections in Tryton. My bad, for sure....!
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot, indeed!
> Ditto!!
>>>
>> Thank you for the feedback !
>>
>>> Chris

>>> --
>>> Dr. Christoph H. Larsen
>>> synaLinQ (Vietnam)                      synaLinQ (Kenya)

--
Luis Falcon
GNU Health