[Health] Does gnu health support medical devices like scanners etc?

From: Bram Mertens
Subject: [Health] Does gnu health support medical devices like scanners etc?
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 21:34:11 +0200

Hi,

I recently learned about this project through the FLOSS weekly
podcast.  A close friend of mine is a dentist and I'm wondering if gnu
health could help him.

Several dentist in our region have recently suffered a virus attack on
their Windows XP clients.  The problems initially manifested
themselves when they could no longer open the software they use to
process their X-ray images.
Apparently upgrading to Windows 8 would mean that they have to buy a
proprietary driver for this X-ray device which costs about 8000 EUR!

If gnu health can support such devices while at the same time offer
improved facilities to keep track of patient records and the like I
may be able to convince him and his colleagues to give gnu health a
try.

Besides scanners there are some other devices that are important (at
least in Belgium) for dentists.  For one thing they are apparently
obliged by law to use specific matrix printers to print the "receipts"
(I have no idea how to translate this to English) that patients need
to get restitution from the health care services.

I only took a brief look at the documentation, so forgive me if it's
there and I haven't found it but I couldn't find a list of supported
devices or something similar.
The mailing list archive contains only three casual references to
dentist offices so I'm not sure if it's a good match at all.

But I imagine that hospitals that have implemented gnu health must
have faced similar requirements.  Please point me in the right
direction.

Thanks in advance.

Bram Mertens