Re: [Help-bash] Current working directory echoed to the terminal

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Current working directory echoed to the terminal
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 23:48:53 -0400

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 07:33:10PM EDT, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 04/09/2012 05:07 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:

[..]

> Careful, there's several issues here.
>
> POSIX requires cd to give output in the following two situations:
>
> If 'cd -' is used (regardless of CDPATH)
> if 'cd $dir' is successfully resolved due to CDPATH being set
>
> For the former, avoiding CDPATH has no effect.  But if you don't like
> 'cd - > /dev/null' for fear that it silences too much, you can rewrite
> it as 'cd $OLDPWD' with no loss in generality and no output.

I kinda like this approach better on principle. What do you have in mind
when you state ‘silences too much’? Could cd try to write something else
to stdout?

> For the latter, unsetting CDPATH will indeed shut up cd, but that will
> also happen if you ensure that CDPATH is not consulted (by anchoring
> $dir - that is, if $dir starts with /, ./, or ../, it is anchored, and
> CDPATH will not be consulted).  So it is always possible to write a
> script that works without cd output regardless of whether CDPATH is set.
>
> Finally, setting CDPATH in an interactive shell is highly useful.
> Exporting CDPATH to scripts is highly dangerous.  Therefore, I recommend
> that you NEVER export CDPATH; feel free to set it for your own
> interactive use, but do not export it.

A bit over my head, but in any event, I don't use CDPATH.. as I see it,
it would just be another piece of data that I'd have to maintain.

Completion, together with readline's Alt+. and occasionally ‘-’ (OLDPWD)
more than meet my cd'ing needs.

CJ

--
WHAT YOU SAY??