Re: [Help-bash] run-parts, trap INT, read error

From: Eduardo A . Bustamante López
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] run-parts, trap INT, read error
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 18:09:52 -0600

> $ ./test.d/child: line 7: read: read error: 0: Input/output error
> ++ true 'answer: '
> + true END

> Where is the read error coming from?
Well, the message is pretty clear, the error is in the 'read', in child.

> Why is the script continuing to run in background?
Because you trapped INT, so you removed the default action of terminating the
script.

> If I use './test.d/child' instead of run-parts, this issue does not happen.
This seems to be a run-parts issue. I was able to reproduce it without much
cruft, like this:

address@hidden ~ % run-parts t
+ read x
^C++ echo int
int

t/s: line 4: read error: 0: Input/output error

address@hidden ~ % cat t/s
#!/bin/bash
trap 'echo int' INT
set -x
read x

So, for some reason, run-parts does something that read doesn't like. The
problem is that I can't strace/ltrace it, because when I do that, the problem
disappears.

You might want to reconsider your scripts also.