Re: [Help-bash] Filename Expansion: Find Utility vs Bash Shell Pattern M

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Filename Expansion: Find Utility vs Bash Shell Pattern Matching
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 08:12:24 -0400

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 02:18:06PM -0700, Michael Convey wrote:
> Isn't globbing narrow enough that a single library could be
> designed/extended/modularized to cover all desired features?

Assume for the moment that this is true.  Today, you write a brand new
library function that does every kind of globbing currently used in
every application on the planet, from VMS to MS-DOS to Unix, in every
language from C to Perl to Python to Tcl to zsh to ....  And somehow
you manage to convince thousands of powerful developers to throw away
their individually customized pattern matching code and use yours.

Tomorrow, someone will want another feature added to their shell.  So
they will introduce another option, or a syntax change, or whatever.
Then pretty soon we'll be right back to where we were before your
theoretical unification.