Re: [Help-bash] .bash_profile, .bash_login, and .profile

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] .bash_profile, .bash_login, and .profile
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 10:49:53 -0400

On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 07:35:42AM -0700, Michael Convey wrote:
> Will
> the scenario described in Newham's quote above also work if I change back
> and forth between the bash shell and the Korn shell using the "chsh"
> command?

I don't care what the book says.

If you change your login shell to ksh, and then login, ksh will read
~/.profile.

If you change your login shell to bash, and then login, bash will read
~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login or ~/.profile (whichever of those is
the first one found, searching in that order).  This is all documented
in the bash(1) man page.