Re: [Help-bash] Where is the usage of `var=xxx cmd` documented?

From: Pierre Gaston
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Where is the usage of `var=xxx cmd` documented?
Date: Sun, 1 May 2016 08:06:16 +0300

On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 7:10 AM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi, I can't find in the man page the document of `var=xxx cmd`. Could
> anybody show me where is it in the man page? Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Peng
>
> There may be other places as well but:

Simple Commands
       A  simple  command  is a sequence of optional variable assignments
fol‐
       lowed by blank-separated words and redirections....

SIMPLE COMMAND EXPANSION
(...)Otherwise, the variables are added to the environ‐
       ment of the executed command and do not affect the current shell
envi‐
       ronment.   If  any  of  the assignments attempts to assign a value
to a
       readonly variable, an error occurs, and the command exits with  a
non-
       zero status.

ENVIRONMENT
(...)
The environment for any simple command or  function  may  be  augmented
       temporarily  by  prefixing  it with parameter assignments, as
described
       above in PARAMETERS.  These assignment statements affect only the
envi‐
       ronment seen by that command.