Re: [Help-bash] Assigning builtins behavior

From: Andy Chu
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Assigning builtins behavior
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 12:04:56 -0800

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 11:17 AM, Chet Ramey <address@hidden> wrote:

> No. Posix and bash include the concept of a `declaration command', as
> described in
>
> http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=351
>
> which dates from 2010.
>
> The above interpretation was approved in 2011, and will be effective
> as of the next `major' release of the Posix standard (issue 8). At
> that point, dash and other shell implementations that don't implement
> this behavior will have to be changed to conform.

OK thanks for the information.  The description of a "declaration utility"
certainly clears things up.

At the top of: http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/

I see this:

"The 2016 edition incorporates Technical Corrigendum 1 and Technical
Corrigendum 2 addressing problems discovered since the approval of the 2008
edition."

If that additional text in the bug was "approved" in 2011, why don't I see
it in the HTML?  Did I miss it, is the HTML out of date, or is the approved
text is not in
Technical Corrigendum 1 or 2?  (I don't know reallly know how POSIX works,
or what a Technical Corrigendum is ... )

thanks,
Andy