[Help-bash] Passing multiple arrays to a function

From: Jerry
Subject: [Help-bash] Passing multiple arrays to a function
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 09:00:24 -0500

bash version 4.4.23 on a FreeBSD 11.2 amd64 machine.

Don't laugh, I am still trying to learn how to use bash.

I am trying to pass arrays to a function. I can get it to work if I only pass
one function; however, I cannot figure out how to pass two or more arrays
simultaneously.

Below is a very simple example of what I am trying to do.

#!/usr/local/bin/bash

declare -A place=(
[first]="one"
[second]="two"
[third]="three")

declare -A teams=(
[ny]="mets"
[nj]="jersey"
[pa]="pittsburgh")

function  standing () {
local -a arr_1=${1}
local -a arr_2=${2}

echo "address@hidden"
echo "address@hidden"
}

## Call the function

standing "address@hidden" "address@hidden"

Nothing gets displayed. I could use "address@hidden" instead of "${1}" or
"${2}", but
that just gobbles up all of the data into one array. Not what I want. I was
told to substitute "local -n" for "local -a", but that failed also.

Is this possible?

--
Jerry