help-grub

Re: GRUB ls hangs when USB connected

From: Michael Strack
Subject: Re: GRUB ls hangs when USB connected
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 22:57:08 +0800

adrian15 wrote:
> Which SG2D version are you using?
> Can you try 2.02s10 instead of 2.04rc1s1?
> Or viceversa?
>
> Can you also try the hybrid versions with UEFI turned on?
I'm using stable (2.02s10).
I will try your suggestions this weekend, hopefully.
> Try to boot thanks to Boot menu (F9) and see if it makes any
> difference.
I failed to mention some troubleshooting steps.  I have tried several
minimal GRUB2 BIOS-bootable USB configurations (no data, freshly zeroed,
either no partitioning and GRUB2 installed entirely in the MBR gap, or
with GRUB boot image installed separately to the only FAT32 partition),
but these will not boot. After BIOS it just hangs on a black screen with
a non-responsive underscore cursor (no prompt) and fan spin.  I have
tried two different USB flash drives.  But installing GRUB2 (as part of
Debian install) to the internal HDD boots exactly as expected.

Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> What bootable media ? Using what image and/or bootloader ?
> What do you mean by "confirmed working" ?
> Did you try to run ls after booting GRUB from USB ?
Sorry, I should have been specific.  I created a bootable USB containing
a Windows 10 install image (and its bootloader) using Rufus and
confirmed that I could boot into the Win10 graphical installer.
All my attempts to boot into GRUB from USB have failed.  That's when I
decided to use a bootable DVD to get a GRUB shell, which allowed me to
observe that having USB storage attached causes GRUB ls to hang.

Thank you for your responses.  The problem is not desperate, since it's
not my computer and the owner just wants Windows 10 anyway.  I am more
curious at this stage than anything.  I have subscribed to this list so
I will be notified of further replies.