help-grub

Re: Is there a way to get the architecture of the machine just booted up

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Is there a way to get the architecture of the machine just booted up by GRUB2: [32|64]-[amd|arm]? ...
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 22:09:29 +0300

On 17.12.2023 19:24, Albretch Mueller wrote:
On 12/17/23, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@gmail.com> wrote:
Now explain, how grub compiled for rsic-v is going to run on amd64 to
decide anything.

  This is not what I have in mind. What I mean is that as part of the
sequence the boot process goes through, GRUB2 should be able to decide
which compiled option to use

I do not understand what it means.

and all kinds of UEFI/BIOS can certainly
read a CD/DVD as part of the boot process.

It is up to the firmware to select the correct boot image that this
firmware expects.

What kind of firmware are we talking about here?

Any firmware. Any firmware needs to decide what it will load and transfer control to. How exactly this decision is done is up to this firmware. But if you are interested in what grub does, this is irrelevant.