help-gsl

Re: [Help-gsl] sparse matrix ?

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] sparse matrix ?
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:55:16 +0000

Amruta D Purandare writes:

 > Hello !
 >
 > I am looking for a library that provides exactly the same functionality
 > as described in the Vectors and Matrices section of GSL
 > documentation however on very large and sparse vectors/matrices.
 >
 > Is there any vector/matrix specific library that you recommend ? I see
 > GSL provides lot more than what I need and also doesn't seem to support
 > sparse vectors/matrices.

Hello,

The term "sparse" gets used to cover a lot of different problems.
Depending on the pattern of sparsity in the matrix different
approaches are needed.

There a quite a few packages on www.Netlib.org, but you have to find
the one that is appropriate to your problem.

This is why GSL doesn't have sparse matrix support -- there are too
many possibilities to handle in a single library.

regards,

--
Brian Gough

Network Theory Ltd