help-gsl

Re: [Help-gsl] ode version and compilers

From: Alan Fung
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] ode version and compilers
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 06:07:13 +0000 (UTC)

Gideon Simpson <gideon.simpson <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've been developing some code on a 2011 macbook air that uses the GSL ODE
integrators.  I'm using GSL 1.16 and
> GCC 4.7.  I then push that code to a server, where a script runs the code
repeatedly.  I'm finding that the
> server is 10 times slower, despite it having a faster processor.  One
major difference is that the server
> only has GCC 4.4.  Is anyone aware of a substantial performance difference
in GSL when it's compiled with
> different GCC's?
>
> -gideon

I experience the same performance drop in my numerical simulations.  With
GSL-1.15, the simulation takes 7.7s.  With GSL-1.16, it takes 2m12s.  My
simulation is to integrate a group of ODEs.  GCC = 4.8.1.  OS = Kubuntu 13.10.

some more figures on other computers:
using the same simulation source code:
GSL-1.15 @ Pentium 4 with GCC3.2: ~30s
GSL-1.16 @ E7-4850 with GCC4.4: 5m

I am quite sure that the problem is not due to different versions of GCC.  I
believe that it should be due to differences between 1.15 and 1.16.