help-gss

Re: Debian upload of gss 0.1.0

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Debian upload of gss 0.1.0
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:52:23 +0200

Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have noticed another solution to this problem that is being used: in
>> the gnutls debian package there is a patch to make the gettext domain
>> use the same suffix as the shared library version.  So the files will be
>> gnutls26.gmo etc for the libgnutls26* debian package, instead of
>> gnutls.gmo, and any future libgnutls27* debian package can use
>> gnutls27.gmo and there will not be any conflict.  The translation
>> messages for each individual shared library package version will also be
>> correct.
>
>> Do you see any problem with that solution?  It would also avoid the need
>> for another small debian package, but it could have other negative
>> consequences that I haven't thought of.
>
> Nope, that sounds great.  I didn't realize that you could do that.  I
> think that's an even better solution.

I'll try to implement this variant.  I've realized that the patch used
in gnutls is bad: it changes the *.gmo filename, but it never patches
the library to use the new gettext domain.

I'm not yet sure if I can use this approach in upstream: that may change
the gettext domain used.  But it can be a best-practice solution for
debian packages.

/Simon