help-guix

Re: 'CONFIG_HEADER not defined' during sed compile during 'guix pull'

From: Nathan Valentine
Subject: Re: 'CONFIG_HEADER not defined' during sed compile during 'guix pull'
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 23:44:10 +0000

Thanks for looking at things, Ricardo.

> That’s not good but I cannot reproduce this as of Guix
> ba123b6dda3afb84c457f9e68c20eeff61e2c740. I ran “guix build --check
> sed” to build sed. (Are you running the daemon on a system where
> SELinux is enabled?)

I get no output and a 0 exit code when I run the --check but some information
about the VM I'm using is below. I started out with SELINUX enabled but have
since disabled it in the VM thinking that perhaps that was a source of problems:

$ dnf copr list ;  rpm -qa | grep guix ; selinuxenabled; echo "selinuxenabled:
$?"
copr.fedorainfracloud.org/lantw44/guix
guix-0.16.0-2.fc29.x86_64
selinuxenabled: 0

The first few lines of the guix pull command output are:

Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at
'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Building from this channel:
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git   24886c1
substitute: guix substitute: warning: ACL for archive imports seems to be
uninitialized, substitutes may be unavailable
building /gnu/store/x96jqkjd7jagszan8srmqblhgx1g6qmc-sed-4.5.drv...

> I also wonder why you’re building things from source when you can get
> binaries from the build farm instead. Did you forget to authorize the
> build farm public key or are you purposefully building everything from
> source?

The docs mention Substitutions being disabled for binary installations...

Substitutes from the official build farm are enabled by default when using the
Guix System Distribution (see GNU Distribution). However, they are disabled by
default when using Guix on a foreign distribution, unless you have explicitly
enabled them via one of the recommended installation steps (see Installation).
The following paragraphs describe how to enable or disable substitutes for the
official build farm; the same procedure can also be used to enable substitutes
for any other substitute server.

I (incorrectly) assumed that was because on a Binary Installation the Guix
install must rely on some local packages during pull. I'll enable substitutions
and report the outcome.