help-guix

Re: MATE Desktop fails

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: MATE Desktop fails
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 10:07:24 -0700

Hi Gottfried,

On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 7:23 AM Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> It seems to me, after using Guix for 1 year, that packages for
> developers like Emacs are very well maintained.

You are right. For better or for worse, Guix is a speciality distribution.

Some of us have higher hopes. Personally, I believe Guix has the
potential to be the next Debian.

> But others like the different desktops have constantly problems and you
> can not use everything on those desktops. only the basics are working.
> But they don’t work well with all the additional add-ons.

Many Guix folks come from other Linux or BSD distributions. We have
years of experience fixing our systems. We have high thresholds for
technical pain. We are zealots.

A user's convenience is usually not a huge factor for us. [1] It puts
us at odds with nice folks like yourself.

> In other distros like manjaro, endeavour I remember the desktops and
> they are working well with all the add-ons, but in Guix it is different.

There are many distributions out there. You should pick the one that
is best for you.

> Probably there is not enough time and interest for the developers of
> Guix to deal with the desktops. They deal more with the packages for
> scientific use and not so much with those packages for the daily normal
> users.

If you are staying with Guix (which I would wholeheartedly encourage)
you should try to find (or perhaps organize) a group with interests
similar to yourself. You have to find people with the same goals so
you can learn and advocate together. Already the Talmud stated right
in its introduction: "Provide for yourself a teacher and get yourself
a friend." (Pirkei Avot 1:6) [2]

To you I hope to be a bit of both, but your interest in music and
other arts surpasses my own. Anyone with interest in MIDI and editing
music may please speak up!

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://invidious.snopyta.org/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc