help-guix

Use of python pip packages and python virtual environments in guix

From: Timothee Mathieu
Subject: Use of python pip packages and python virtual environments in guix
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:07:49 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I am new to guix, and I would like to use the containers in order to have
reproducible development environments for python.
A lot of the packages that I use are not on guix yet and it would be too long
and a lot of work to actually put them as packages, hence I want to
use both guix shell -C for container in order to be able to fix the C libraries
and a python virtual environment inside the container to fix the python
versions.
However, if I do that, I need to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /lib and use guix
shell -F otherwise the python libraries do not find the shared libraries.

I saw here: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/25072 that my solution was not good
(they say it is a hacking) and I was wondering what is good practice to use
python virtual environments in guix.

I think having a way to handle this would be a great tool for producing
reproducible article by providing a middle ground between full guix packages
(which is time consuming) and what is done actually with python pip.

Thanks.