help-guix

Re: Include home environment in image

From: Lars Rustand
Subject: Re: Include home environment in image
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 12:31:25 +0100

Kristoffer Ström <kristoffer@rymdkoloni.se> writes:

> I would love to know this as well. I've not found any examples in the
> wild that are not tied into other distributions (RDE).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! After doing some digging
in RDE sources I found the `guix-home-service-type` which does exactly
what I want. Using it is as simple as adding RDE as a channel and adding
the following to your system config:

(use-modules (gnu services home))
(service guix-home-service-type
         `(,(cons
             "my-user"
             %my-home-environment)))

The service definition even seems to be fully self-contained and not
dependent on any other RDE code, so it should be possible to simply copy
the service definition into your own config without needing to add RDE
at all (although I have not tried this myself).

Maybe this could even be upstreamed into Guix proper? I think this would
be a very valuable addition.