help-nano

Re: Problem with paste, zap (related) question

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Problem with paste, zap (related) question
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:29:20 +0200

Op 26-10-2023 om 22:00 schreef Donny:
I really like "set zap" - the behavior is closer to what I'm used to. Unfortunately, what I really AM used to is selecting text then typing over it. That's the way I edit text and have for decades;

Nano uses a different philosophy: it will delete text only
when you explicitly tell it to delete it.  _Entering_ text
will _not_ wipe out anything.

Is there a setting I'm missing/not understanding that could enable that behavior?

No, there is not.  It works this way on purpose.

I've pasted my key bindings below. As you can see, I bound ^V to "all"

This is not a valid binding.

I originally had ^V bound to "Paste all"

That should work, but you must use all lowercase.

bind ^V all

Invalid.  The "^V all" is shown in red in your nanorc,
and nano will complain on startup.  Use this instead:

  bind ^V paste all

Benno