help-octave

Re: Passing variables between octave processes on the same machine

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Passing variables between octave processes on the same machine
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 16:32:53 +0100

>> I know that you've made a decision, but regarding"Creating small new
>> files for each message is unfortunately not an option
>> on ssd drives" - it's not an issue. First of all, modern SSD drives have
>> pretty long lifespan, and even swap area is located on them.
>
>Continuous creating/deleting 10 files a second for the purpose of
>communication is simply bad enginnering. Modern SSD drives may be more
>resilient, but people use old ones, some of my systems run on CF cards.
>Definitely not designed for this type of (useless) load.
>>
>> IIRC UNIX default time after files are flushed to disk are 25 seconds.
>
>For ext4 it is 5 secs. You would not want to loose 25 secs of data after
>a power loss. I could not find the figure for NTFS.

As far as I know, on Unix short-lived files (and pipe data) are never
physically written to disk, they just live in the fs buffers in memory.
I imagine this is still true in all current operating systems that are
capable enough to run Octave.

Sure, you get all the fs overhead, so I agree that in principle it is
bad engineering, I do not think that the mass memory would suffer from
that.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107