[Help-smalltalk] hunting down the bug...

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] hunting down the bug...
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:22:22 +0100 (CET)

If you have time, you might want to fine tune the compilation and use GCC
to compile GNU Smalltalk.  It can be up to 30% faster because of the &&
extension to C that GCC has.

Does the bug happen when compiling in non-optimized mode?  If so, the only
way could be to look at the assembly, find the wrong piece and modifying
it -- big or at least boring work and certainly I don't ask you to do it.

If not, try some options and see which result in failing builds.

  -O2
  -O2 -fno-strength-reduce
  -O2 -fno-schedule-insns
  -O2 -fno-gcse
  -O2 -fno-cse-follow-jumps
  -O2 -fno-cse-skip-blocks

But before, run the configure script I attach and tell me if it says that
some work-around is needed (note: this is *not* a replacement for the GST
configure)

Also, send following messages to address@hidden