[Help-smalltalk] Re: hunting down the bug...

From: Jeremy Dreese
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: hunting down the bug...
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:02:21 -0500

... run the configure script I attach and tell me if it says that
some work-around is needed (note: this is *not* a replacement for the GST
configure)

I ran the configure script and initially got an error:

configure: error: can not find sources in . or ..

After looking at the script, I changed the string "gccbugs.m4" at line 454 to any file in my current directory to correct the above error; I hope that's a suitable work around. Anyway, then the script said that there was no gcc work-arounds needed:

checking work-arounds for GCC bugs... none needed

Does the bug happen when compiling in non-optimized mode?

Actually, I had been compiling all along without the optimized mode. To restate, I was getting the following error:

UndefinedObject(/home/medusa/local/src/smalltalk-1.8.4/kernel/Builtins.st:37 : Segmentation violation /home/medusa/local/src/smalltalk-1.8.4/kernel/Builtins.st:37: Error occurred while not in byte code interpreter!!
Segmentation Fault

Just out of curiosity, I recompiled with optimization on ("-O2" option) and got a different error:

gst: Bus error
gst: Error occurred while not in byte code interpreter!!
Bus Error

When looking at the truss of this compilation of gst, it looks like this one bombs at the mmap (although I could be mistaken):

.
.
mmap(0x1F360000, 8192, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_ANON, -1, 0) = 0x1F360000 mmap(0x1F362000, 1048576, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_ANON, -1, 0) = 0x1F362000
    Incurred fault #5, FLTACCESS  %pc = 0x00037238
      siginfo: SIGBUS BUS_ADRALN addr=0x0F36A014
    Received signal #10, SIGBUS [caught]
      siginfo: SIGBUS BUS_ADRALN addr=0x0F36A014
sigaction(SIGBUS, 0xFFBEF6D8, 0x00000000)       = 0
gst: write(2, " g s t :  ", 5)                  = 5
Bus errorwrite(2, " B u s   e r r o r", 9)              = 9
.
.

I can send the complete truss output if you'd like.

Well, I hope all of this tells you something. If I made any mistakes in the steps I took, please feel free to correct me and I'll be happy to make the necessary corrections.

Jeremy

Jeremy Dreese
Engineering Computing Systems Integrator
College of Engineering
Bucknell University
voice: (570) 577-3714
fax: (570) 577-3579