[Help-smalltalk] (fwd) gnu-smalltalk_1.8.1-1(unstable): syntax error on

From: H. Nanosecond
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] (fwd) gnu-smalltalk_1.8.1-1(unstable): syntax error on m68k
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 02:44:27 -0500 (EST)

Here is a message from the Debian bug tracking system,
please CC to address@hidden

Thanks.

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:40:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Roman Hodek <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Package: gnu-smalltalk
Version: 1.8.1-1
Severity: important

I tried to recompile gnu-smalltalk for m68k, but it failed with:

> gcc -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/build/buildd/gnu-smalltalk-1.8.1/lib -I/build/buil
dd/gnu-smalltalk-1.8.1/lib/..   -I/usr/include/tcl8.2  -g  sysdep.c
> sysdep.c: In function `flushCode':
> sysdep.c:1087: parse error before `}'
> make[2]: *** [sysdep.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/gnu-smalltalk-1.8.1/lib'

Line 1087 looks like:

  __clear_cache(dest, dest + len)

There's simply a semicolon missing at the end of line, resulting in a
syntax error. Obviously that code hasn't been compiled on m68k yet :-)

Ok, that's easy to fix, but I doubt that the cache push method the
programmer uses really works :-( He's right that gcc already knows to
flush caches, but AFAIK there's no built-in function which exports
this functionality to compiled programs... Ok, if it works on other
platforms we could just try, but if __cache_clear ends up as an
undefined symbol, we'd have to use the cacheflush() syscall directly.

Since this is a "cannot build from source" type bug, it is to be
considered important. (See Debian developer's reference.)

Roman

A complete build log can be found at
http://m68k.debian.org/buildd/logs/gnu-smalltalk_1.8.1-1_20000721-0624