[Help-smalltalk] Re: GNU Smalltalk

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: GNU Smalltalk
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:38:05 +0100 (CET)

I'm happy to hear about your projects re. GNU Smalltalk.  Indeed GTK
bindings are interesting because the Tcl/Tk interface is a bit out of
standard (even though it is indeed powerful).  In version 1.95.2
(I'm uploading it right now, it will be on ftp.gnu.org before
Thursday) I took some provisions, deprecating the geometry setting
methods that cannot be implemented with GtkAlignments.

The way to go is probably to parse the headers directly with an AWK
program (I'd like not to use Perl because of portability; if you prefer
Perl I can convert your Perl program to AWK) and generate the bindings
automatically. The second part would be to port the Blox widgets to use
Gtk.  Take a look at the implementation of the GDBM package in 1.95.2
for more information, and keep me posted.

Please send replies to address@hidden