Re: [Help-smalltalk] smalltalk-1.95.2 make check

From: Dirk Sondermann
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] smalltalk-1.95.2 make check
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:06:34 +0100

The outcomes of `make check' and `make distcheck' can depend on the
directories you have in your PATH since `/usr/bin/which' tries to
complete a relative path such as `../gst' not by the the current
working directory but by any directory in your PATH (this differs
from the behavior of the alias which='type -p', which is often used
in interactive shells).

With a PATH that contains no subdirectory of the source directory
`make distcheck' fails, but after  PATH=`pwd`/libltdl:$PATH  it says
"smalltalk-1.95.2.tar.gz is ready for distribution".

Similarly, `GST=../../gst make check' worked for me only accidentally
because I have `.' in my PATH and a directory called `gst' parallel
to the smalltalk-1.95.2 source directory.

So it's surely best to avoid the `which' in tests/run-test completely.

Dirk