[Help-smalltalk] smalltalk 1.95.3 and packages

From: Sven Verdoolaege
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] smalltalk 1.95.3 and packages
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:48:26 +0100

I'm very new to smalltalk so excuse me for any stupidities.

I thought I could load an installed package, by just specifying
it on the command line, as in

gst /usr/share/gnu-smalltalk/blox/Run.st

but then I get an error about "packages" not being found.
So I copied the packages file from /usr/share/gnu-smalltalk,
replacing every occurrence of '..' with '/usr/share/gnu-smalltalk'
and then I get this:

gst -q /usr/share/gnu-smalltalk/blox/Run.st > trace 2>&1

"Major GC flip... done, used space = 61%"
GNU Smalltalk Ready

Object: FileStream error: could not open
/home/skimo/smalltalk/kernel/../examples/PushBack.st
FileStream class(Object)>>#primError:
Error(Exception)>>#defaultAction
[] in Exception class>>#coreException
Error(Signal)>>#activateHandler:
Error(Exception)>>#signal
Error(Exception)>>#signal:
FileStream class(Object)>>#error:
[] in FileStream class>>#open:mode:
FileStream>>#fileOp:with:with:ifFail:
FileStream class>>#open:mode:
FileStream class>>#fileIn:
UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements
Object: FileStream error: could not open
/home/skimo/smalltalk/kernel/../blox/tk/BloxBasic.st
FileStream class(Object)>>#primError:
Error(Exception)>>#defaultAction
[] in Exception class>>#coreException
Error(Signal)>>#activateHandler:
Error(Exception)>>#signal
Error(Exception)>>#signal:
FileStream class(Object)>>#error:
[] in FileStream class>>#open:mode:
FileStream>>#fileOp:with:with:ifFail:
FileStream class>>#open:mode:
FileStream class>>#fileIn:
[] in UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>#do:
UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements
Object: nil error: did not understand #onStartup
UndefinedObject(Object)>>#primError:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#defaultAction
[] in Exception class>>#coreException
MessageNotUnderstood(Signal)>>#activateHandler:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#signal
UndefinedObject(Object)>>#doesNotUnderstand:
UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements
Available tests
    #balloonTest
    #callbackTest
    #canvasTest
    #colorButtonTest
    #colorDialogTest
    #dialogTest1
    #dialogTest2
    #dropdownTest
    #editTest
    #eventTest
    #fileDialogTest
    #formattingTest
    #formTest
    #hContainerTest
    #iconTest
    #imageTest
    #labelTest
    #listboxTest
    #menuTest
    #progressTest
    #textEventsTest
    #textTest
    #vContainerTest
"Minor GC flip... done, used space = 79%"

Initializing system -- be patient...
Manager.st:132: assignment to undeclared variable blox
RadioForm.st:63: assignment to undeclared variable blox
Menu.st:61: Undefined variable blox referenced
ModalDialog.st:51: assignment to undeclared variable blox
ModalDialog.st:70: Undefined variable blox referenced
ModalDialog.st:74: parse error
ModalDialog.st:135: Undefined variable blox referenced
ModalDialog.st:142: parse error
ModalDialog.st:148: parse error
ModalDialog.st:153: parse error
PList.st:52: Undefined variable blox referenced
PList.st:64: assignment to undeclared variable blox
PList.st:85: Undefined variable blox referenced
PList.st:89: parse error
PList.st:112: Undefined variable blox referenced
PText.st:128: Undefined variable blox referenced
PText.st:156: Undefined variable blox referenced
PText.st:163: Undefined variable gstCut referenced
PText.st:167: Undefined variable gstCopy referenced
PText.st:172: parse error
PText.st:179: Undefined variable gstClear referenced
PText.st:185: parse error
PText.st:194: parse error
PText.st:201: parse error
PText.st:212: parse error
PText.st:223: parse error
PText.st:234: Undefined variable senders referenced
PText.st:239: Undefined variable implementors referenced
PText.st:245: parse error
PText.st:263: Undefined variable revert referenced
Object: nil error: did not understand #foregroundColor:
UndefinedObject(Object)>>#primError:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#defaultAction
[] in Exception class>>#coreException
MessageNotUnderstood(Signal)>>#activateHandler:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#signal
UndefinedObject(Object)>>#doesNotUnderstand:
BCode class>>#colorAt:put:
BCode class>>#initializeColors
UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements
"Minor GC flip... done, used space = 91%"
"Major GC flip... done, used space = 98%"
"Major GC flip... done, used space = 78%"
Starting window environment...
"Minor GC flip... done, used space = 76%"
"Minor GC flip... done, used space = 99%"
"Minor GC flip... done, used space = 99%"
"Major GC flip... done, used space = 81%"
"Major GC flip... /usr/share/gnu-smalltalk/blox/Run.st:42: Segmentation
violation
BrowserShell>>#initialize:
BrowserShell class(TopLevelShell class)>>#new:
BrowserShell class>>#openWorksheet:withText:
BrowserMain>>#initialize
UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements

OK, so maybe I did something stupid, but I don't think gst
should Segmentation Fault.

So then I browsed through the documentation some more and figured
I had to set SMALLTALK_KERNEL and that works, provided I copy
the packages file to the current directory.
But that seems silly, doesn't it ?

Is there any reason why smalltalk can't/doesn't look in the parent
directory of the kernel when it can't find the packages file in
the current image directory ?

skimo