[Help-smalltalk] Renewed packaging

From: Bonz
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Renewed packaging
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:31:54 +0100

Here is another idea from Dragomir.  I like this one, even though
it is not a breeze to implement...

If I understood well, he'd replace the `packages' file with different
slb.xml files contained in the package.  The package itself would be
searched as KERNEL_PATH/../PACKAGE_NAME (a directory).  The big pro
of the idea is the ease with which one could install packages --
because there is a common directory in which to do it, not a
big configuration file.

Then PackageLoader>>#fileInPackage: would file-in a package by loading
DIR_NAME/Load.st, and PackageLoader>>#runPackage: would run it by

He also wants to implement a module to access ZIP files, and then to
allow people to store their packages in a ZIP file.  This is nice;
but here comes my part of the idea.  What about lifting the code for
virtual file systems from the Midnight Commander and put it in GST???
Pros: centralized access to ZIP files and the like.  Cons: need to
rewrite some parts of GST to integrate with the new library
much better -- i.e. Midnight Commander syntax to access a ZIP
file should be accepted by the command-line as well.

Anybody has comments to make???