Re: [Help-smalltalk] (long) DLD help / SDL bindings for GNU Smalltalk

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] (long) DLD help / SDL bindings for GNU Smalltalk
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:53:07 +0200

> >From my investigation so far, I need to create a
> typemap entry for returning to reference?  I've not
> yet had time to fully understand that part.

You can use `SDLVideoInfo type' in the returning:
parameter.  It comes to mind that the gdbm module
demonstrates a lot of subtleties in the C interface.

> Another C interface question.  Part of SDL  may setup
> a callback function which may be called from another
> OS level thread.  Is it safe to have the callback send
> a message to a gnu-smalltalk object?

Theoretically yes, if you can set up the callback to match
the arguments to vmsgSend or msgSendf.  However, it
seems more sensible to make a C callback that calls those
functions.  blox has an implementation of callbacks.

> > ps: what is this SDL thing?
>
> SDL stands for Simple Directmedia Layer.  It's a cross
> platform library for low level access to graphics,
> sound etc. which can be necessary to produce games
> that perform well.

Analogous, for example, to GGI+mikmod?