Re: [Help-smalltalk] misc problems

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] misc problems
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 00:31:52 +0200

> Great i couldn't figure out different signals myself
> (when  SIGPOLL is set SIGIO handler is not set but
> then the ioctl for SIGPOLL failes etc. etc., i could
> not find any meaningfull docu )

SIGIO and SIGPOLL are the same number.  SIGPOLL and
SIGURG are for ioctl, SIGIO is for fcntl.  SIGPOLL and
SIGURG are SysV-isms, SIGIO is BSD.  It's a mess,
you have to look at all kind of documentation for
the involved ioctls and fcntls to figure it out. I'm not
myself sure that I wrote it correctly without looking
at the source. :-(

> I know, but writeEnd is always (Ptr - 1) !

There are some cases in which it is not.  If I
remember correctly, one such case is when
you read after writing.

> It is easily solved by checking isOpen before calling
> close(and probably already is solved by now, but you
> never know!).

It is, but thanks very much anyway.