[Help-smalltalk] 1.96.x won't configure if lightning installed

From: Mike Castle
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] 1.96.x won't configure if lightning installed
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:08:26 -0800

I have GNU Lightning 0.99 installed.

ST's configure finds lightning.h which then breaks other parts of
configure.

The result is:

config.status: linking ../smalltalk-1.96.3/../smalltalk-1.96.3/lightning//asm.h
to lightning/asm.h
config.status: error: ../smalltalk-1.96.3/../smalltalk-1.96.3/lightning//asm.h:
File not found

I suspect the problem is in this bit of code in aclocal.m4:

ifdef([AC_HELP_STRING], [
  dnl autoconf 2.50 style
  AC_CONFIG_LINKS(lightning/asm.h:$srcdir/lightning/$cpu_subdir/asm.h
                  lightning/core.h:$srcdir/lightning/$cpu_subdir/core.h
                  lightning/fp.h:$srcdir/lightning/$cpu_subdir/fp.h
                  lightning/funcs.h:$srcdir/lightning/$cpu_subdir/funcs.h,
, [
    cpu_subdir=$cpu_subdir
  ])
], [

The bit just above this does not set host_cpu.  It may need a bit of code
like the 2.13 section below it:

    if test -n "$cpu_subdir"; then

    fi

as a wraper around the AC_CONFIG_LINKS call.

But I wasn't sure if that is sufficient as lightning is included in
Makefile.am

(I tried running autogen, but got the following using autoconf 2.52g:
configure.ac:207: error: do not use LIBOBJS directly, use AC_LIBOBJ

And since I know nothing about autoconf, I gave up at this point.  So I
wasn't able to test the above theory.)

Meanwhile, I just put in:

export ac_cv_header_lightning_h=no

In my script that unpacks/builds/installed gst, and that seems to work
fine.

I'm not subscribed to the list, though I may following the discussion on
the web archive.  If you need any info from me, Cc: me.  Thanks.

Cheers,
mrc
--
     Mike Castle      address@hidden      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/