Re: [Help-smalltalk] Paths in gst.im breaking when moved

From: Bonzini Paolo
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Paths in gst.im breaking when moved
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:37:48 +0200 (METDST)

> In the install target for gst, the gst.im is built with the proper
> modules... When the gst.im is built it contains all the paths to the
> source files that are loaded, the kernel path, etc... Normally this is
> not a problem since the gst.im is already in its final resting place.

> Essentially, the problem is gst images can't be relocated...

I (or you) can write a #relocateFrom:to: method for the FileSegment class
and then, as part of installing, I (or you) can do

   FileSegment allInstances do: [ :each |
       each relocateFrom: '$(DESTDIR)/' to: '/'
   ].

The method is something like:

relocateFrom: fromPath to: toPath
    (fileName startsWith: fromPath) ifTrue: [
        fileName := toPath,
            (fileName copyFrom: fromPath + 1 to: fileName size)
    ]

I do not remember though if the startsWith: method exists in String. :-)

I can put together a patch in the weekend and release new
stable/development versions with it.  Or if you can do it, please go on
and mail the diff here.  It is only little more than Makefile.am juggling.