Re: [Help-smalltalk] directory creation mode

From: clemensF
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] directory creation mode
Date: 18 Apr 2002 19:50:24 +0200

> Alexander Lazarevic:

> Clemens,
>
> > if mode 0777 at all, which is global write access, you would have to make
> > it 01777 actually, [...]
>
> I don't think so. The program mkdir also uses the mode 0777 for newly created
> directories, which you will see if you do
>
> umask 0; mkdir /tmp/see; ls -ld /tmp/see

that doesn't say anything about the sticky bit, which was what i was
talking about.  mkdir uses some set of the permission-bits, but checking
them doesn't proove anything.

you *must* set directories to 1777 if you want them both to be writable by
everybody and need a minimum of protection.  if you leave out the 01000
bit, everybody can create or delete everything, but if you use it, only the
creator of some directory can remove it later.

> [...] If you want
> a different mode for newly created directories you are free to use Directory
> class>>primCreate:mode: directly.

this is the smalltalk usage, i was talking about upper layer filesystem
semantics, which would be located beneith smalltalk.

> PS: This all is based on what I know/see on my linux box. This might be
> terribly wrong with other unices/OS! :)

this is common semantics also in linux systems.

--
clemens fischer

"You stepped in the Microsoft!"  -- based on John Denker