[Help-smalltalk] [1.95.13a] JIT and blocks

From: Nicolas Pelletier
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] [1.95.13a] JIT and blocks
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 12:53:21 +0200

Hello,

I tried to build GNU Smalltalk 1.95.13a with JIT support as follows:

./configure --prefix=/opt/smalltalk --enable-jit --enable-modules=yes
--with-gnu-ld

The build  process goes well until  the new image is  created and Blox
gets filed into it (see attachment). Removing blox from the modules to
file in works around the problem.

Furthermore,  running the  low-level tests  reports an  error  for the
blocks test  (the diff between  actual and expected output  shows that
the errors  are reported from  BlockContext instances, which  does not
look bad since JIT delays compilation, right ?)

However, if  I try  Bench.st on the  image generated without  Blox, it
works and reports very good performance on my PII 300MHz, which I take
as a sign that the JIT is here and working.

Execution begins...
69480255 bytecodes/sec; 2038542 sends/sec
returned value is nil
Execution took 16.435 seconds
258 primitives, 296 inline cache misses since last cache cleanup
175 method cache hits, 121 misses, 59.12 percent hits

Do you know what is going wrong ?

Thanks in advance for your help.