Re: [Help-smalltalk] [2.0.1][Blox][Browser] Cannot see 'Object' definiti

From: Nicolas Pelletier
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] [2.0.1][Blox][Browser] Cannot see 'Object' definition
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:57:45 +0200

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 01:29:36AM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> I cannot reproduce this and until anybody tells me otherwise I consider this
> a bug in Tcl.  I myself never used it for anything else but Blox, and most
> of the more complicated code snippets were taken from FAQs :-) but horizSB
> is declared, and then used 11 times before the error happens on the 12th
> usage (fgrep horizSB Blox.session-with-code).

Okay, this must  be a problem with my system. I  seem to recall having
used Blox sucessfully with an earlier  gst version: that is why I sent
you this report.

Anyway,

SomeClass fileOutDeclarationOn: Transcript

brings information firectly from producer to consumer :-)

> Is there a reason why you're filing in packages manually with PackageLoader?

Yes. I tried:

unset SMALLTALK_KERNEL
unset SMALLTALK_IMAGE
./configure --prefix=/opt/smalltalk-test --with-gnu-ld --enable-modules=yes
make
make install
Processing /opt/smalltalk-test/share/smalltalk/kernel/PkgLoader.st
Processing /opt/smalltalk-test/share/smalltalk/kernel/DLD.st
"Major scavenging... done, used space = 75%"
GNU Smalltalk ready

Processing /usr/src/packages/BUILD/smalltalk-2.0.1/Finish.st
Object: Directory error: No such file or directory
Directory class(Object)>>#primError:
SystemExceptions FileError(Exception)>>#defaultAction
[] in Exception class>>#coreException
SystemExceptions FileError(Signal)>>#activateHandler:
SystemExceptions FileError(Exception)>>#signal
Smalltalk SystemExceptions FileError class(Exception class)>>#signal:
Directory class(File class)>>#checkError:
Directory class(File class)>>#checkError
Directory class>>#working:
PackageLoader class>>#primFileInPackage:
[] in PackageLoader class>>#fileInPackages:
OrderedCollection(SequenceableCollection)>>#do:
PackageLoader class>>#fileInPackages:
[] in UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements
BlockClosure>>#valueWithUnwind
UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements
make[3]: *** [install-data-hook] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/smalltalk-2.0.1'
make[2]: *** [install-data-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/smalltalk-2.0.1'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/packages/BUILD/smalltalk-2.0.1'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

But if  I build an  image without --enable-modules, I  can sucessfully
install it, and then manually fileInPackages: if I need.