Re: [Help-smalltalk] st-mode.el optional hilit19

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] st-mode.el optional hilit19
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:16:43 +1000

"Bonzini" <address@hidden> writes:

>> BTW, have you tried the Emacs-based Smalltalk browser?  Could you get it
>> run?

I didn't try, I only wanted to stop my screen looking like a fruit
salad.  :-)

> Well, I could after applying your patch :-) and after doing a couple of
> changes in kernel/Browser.st (to strip the #'s from the output of the class
> hierarchy browser).

Ah good, that's why it doesn't quite work then. :)

> It looks quite limited.  No categorization of methods, for example.  I'm
> quite inclined to remove the browsing support from st-mode.el,
> kernel/Browser.st and input.c (the -p option), and only leave the indenter.
> This could be the easy way to bring st-mode.el back to life.

I guess a possibility would be to split the browsing part out to a
separate .el, which I see is how it was in the dim dark past.  I guess
if it spat biggish chunks of code down to the running gst it might be
able to get away without Browser.st too.

Is the -p to support running as an emacs sub-process in general
(rather than just for the browser)?  That feature (however
implemented) might be worth keeping.