Re: [Help-smalltalk] BLOX: Help

From: Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] BLOX: Help
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:03:17 +0200

> What would be way to explore BLOX to learn how to do it? I have no idea,
> where tcl ends and BLOX starts,

In general, private things are explicitly marked as such.  This is where
Tcl-specific stuff is confined.  Tcl in protocols different than `private'
is the interface exposed by BLOX.  Tcl in the `private' protocol is the
implementation of Tk-based BLOX.

> and what things of BLOX are tcl/tk specific and which not.

I guess that everything but some features of BText and BCanvas can be
replicated in a TUI.

> Would it be possible to use BLOX as interface to a tui?

Yes.  I'd rather implement in almost pure Smalltalk.  But I'd rather not
emulate the full complexity of Turbo Vision, for example.  Better to provide
something like the Midnight Commander: I'm thinking of a top line with
menus, a bottom line implementing something like a tabbed multi-window
interface (à la Gtk), and the whole screen devoted to single windows.  The
only pop-up thing would be menus.

I can give a hand with the implementation of the bottom-level layer (which
would be termcap, not ncurses in my view!), such as dirty rectangles and the
Terminal class.  Just for fun :-)