[Help-smalltalk] just can't seem to get it working...

From: Glyph Lefkowitz
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] just can't seem to get it working...
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 12:55:32 -0500 (CDT)

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, but BLOX just doesn't seem to want to
work.  I'm using GNU Smalltalk 2.0.6; what follows is a brief transcript of my
actions in trying to get it to build / install.

First, I created a new user called 'st' in order to make sure that my
environment (heavily customized) was not in some way causing my problems.

address@hidden:~% uname -a
Linux zelda 2.4.18 #1 SMP Fri Apr 26 19:18:50 CDT 2002 ppc unknown unknown
GNU/Linux
address@hidden:~% sudo su - st

Then I downloaded the package and uncompressed it.

address@hidden:~$ wget
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/smalltalk/smalltalk-2.0.6.tar.gz
address@hidden:~$ tar xzf smalltalk-2.0.6.tar.gz

I set a few environment variables so I wouldn't have to be root.

address@hidden:~$ export PATH=$PATH:/home/st/gst/bin
address@hidden:~$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/home/st/gst/lib
address@hidden:~$ cd smalltalk-2.0.6

I configured, compiled, and installed.  From what I can tell it all worked
great.

address@hidden:~/smalltalk-2.0.6$ ./configure --prefix ~/gst # configured,
address@hidden:~/smalltalk-2.0.6$ make # and built.
address@hidden:~/smalltalk-2.0.6$ make check # ran the tests just to make
sure...
[...] All 80 tests passed [...]
address@hidden:~/smalltalk-2.0.6$ make install

Finally, I go to the appropriate directory and follow the directions provided
in the info file and on the web:

address@hidden:~$ cd ~/gst/share/smalltalk
address@hidden:~/gst/share/smalltalk$ gst -qK blox/Run.st

Kaboom!  I get the following series of walkbacks:

Object: 20 error: did not understand #L
SmallInteger(Object)>>#primError:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#defaultAction
[] in Exception class>>#coreException
MessageNotUnderstood(Signal)>>#activateHandler:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#signal
SmallInteger(Object)>>#doesNotUnderstand:
Smalltalk VFS CStatStruct class>>#sizeof
Smalltalk VFS CStatStruct class(CCompound class)>>#new
VFS RealFileHandler>>#exists
Smalltalk VFS ExternalArchiveFileHandler class>>#fileSystemsIn:
Smalltalk VFS ExternalArchiveFileHandler class>>#fileSystems
[] in Smalltalk VFS VFSHandler class>>#update:
[] in Behavior>>#allSubclassesDo:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>#do:
Smalltalk VFS ArchiveFileHandler class(Behavior)>>#allSubclassesDo:
[] in Behavior>>#allSubclassesDo:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>#do:
Smalltalk VFS VFSHandler class(Behavior)>>#allSubclassesDo:
Smalltalk VFS VFSHandler class>>#update:
[] in Object>>#changed:
OrderedCollection(SequenceableCollection)>>#do:
ObjectMemory class(Object)>>#changed:
GNU Smalltalk ready

Object: 20 error: did not understand #L
SmallInteger(Object)>>#primError:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#defaultAction
[] in Exception class>>#coreException
MessageNotUnderstood(Signal)>>#activateHandler:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#signal
SmallInteger(Object)>>#doesNotUnderstand:
Smalltalk VFS CStatStruct class>>#sizeof
Smalltalk VFS CStatStruct class(CCompound class)>>#new
VFS RealFileHandler>>#exists
Directory(File)>>#exists
[] in PackageLoader class>>#line:state:baseDirectory:
True>>#ifTrue:
PackageLoader class>>#line:state:baseDirectory:
PackageLoader class>>#processPackageFile:baseDirectory:
PackageLoader class>>#refreshDependencies
PackageLoader class>>#isLoadable:
[] in PackageLoader class>>#extractDependenciesFor:onError:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>#do:
PackageLoader class>>#extractDependenciesFor:onError:
PackageLoader class>>#fileInPackages:
PackageLoader class>>#fileInPackage:
UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements
Starting window environment...
Object: nil error: did not understand #BLOXBrowser
UndefinedObject(Object)>>#primError:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#defaultAction
[] in Exception class>>#coreException
MessageNotUnderstood(Signal)>>#activateHandler:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#signal
UndefinedObject(Object)>>#doesNotUnderstand:
UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements

I've tried doing this as 2 different users: normally, 15 several of the tests
in "make check" fail (the first batch, with lowercase names), which is why I
created the "st" user in the first place.  Under the 'st' user, with a pristine
environment, no tests fail and the system builds flawlessly, but I can't figure
out how to fix it.

Is there something I've forgotten to do or is this a bug?

(If you respond, please CC: me as I'm not on the list.)

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Traveling Sorcerer   |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |