[Help-smalltalk] New releases available

From: Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] New releases available
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 20:13:48 +0100

I'm currently releasing a development snapshot, 2.0f, as well as a stable
version, 2.0.9.

2.0.9 fixes (at least I think so, I could not test on that exact platform)
the problem in heap.c that made gst crash on NetBSD.  It also includes an
upgrade of the libsnprintfv library which fixes some problems with floating
point.

2.0f has more big changes around.  The new generational garbage collector
has been thoroughly tested and bug-fixed, and the C-Smalltalk
interoperability mechanisms (aka call-in/call-out) have been more-or-less
rewritten: each callin now spawns a separate Process (eradicating the
`execution environment' mess as well as some rare but problematic priority
inversions that might have happened with the old scheme -- a call-in could
be started by mistake at high priorities), and callouts now use a more clean
implementation (eradicating the CFunctionDescs pool dictionary, as well as
removing a parameter from the VM primitives).

I also added support, in the meanwhile, for compile-time constants (the
##(...) syntax that I mutuated from some other Smalltalk dialects), and for
`asynchronous call-outs' (a rather obscure feature, which however allows me
to very easily have each Blox event handler in a separate Process and in the
meanwhile simplify the code for the Blox event dispatcher).

Everything is now in place to start working on a real debugger -- nothing
less, nothing more. :-)

On the agenda before 2.1:
* the debugger
* a really stable JIT