[Help-smalltalk] Re: thoughts on 2.1? (resend)

From: Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: thoughts on 2.1? (resend)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:38:30 +0100

> _Change_logs_ (and change sets)
>
> The change log works fine from the prompt, (as far as
> I know), but once you start up the browser, the code
> doesn't pass through the same point in the code, so
> the log falls silent.

Change logs are going to die sooner or later and be replaced by a kind of
database maintained using the refactoring browser's change objects.  This is
for 2.2 (late 2003?), I think we can put up with the current buggy behavior
for now.

> Having said all that, it would really be nicer to be
> able to file out change sets, rather than logging
> everything, but that is a more complicated exercise -
> any thoughts on that?

Yes, that's it.  You have to rework the way the browser does changes to
support changesets, so that you can hook arbitrarily in the place where
these changes happen.  This will give other benefits such as undo/redo, but
it is not a work I like to undertake now that 2.1 is soon going to be
feature freezed (besides, I already had it in mind for 2.2 -- if 2.1 was the
`usable GUI version', 2.2 will be the `nice GUI version').

> At the moment, the browser has various difficulties
> with namespaces.

These *are* bugs.  I'll fix them right away.  It's the kind of thing that
*is* going to be fixed in 2.1 and that I'd like to hear about.