[Help-smalltalk] Released development version 2.0g

From: Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Released development version 2.0g
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:37:49 +0100

I published 2.0g on alpha.gnu.org (actually I had forgot to move it from my
home directory to the FTP directory a few days ago, so it does not have the
fixes for the bugs that David Forster recently exposed).

This release enters feature freeze, so no new features will be added, only
bugfixes.  I plan to release 2.1 in February or March 2003 (depending on how
much it takes to take the JIT back into good shape).  The new features in
this release include a text-mode debugger similar to gdb and single-stepping
features for the existing graphics-mode one.  There are fixes for Mike's
namespace bugs, and for a few other things.

I also put together a tool to simplify adding new primitives: it takes a
`prims.def' file and builds a `prims.inl' which has everything needed; the
syntax of prims.def is basically C with a couple of directives to declare
primitive attributes.

The gst-package script was in a limbo state since I redid the packaging
system to use XML and to replace a few Makefile.am files (working for `make
dist' purposes, but nothing more).  Now I fixed it so that you can install
development versions again (they used to work in the build directory only,
because `make install' failed.)