[Help-smalltalk] Problem with the garbage collector, perhaps

From: MSA or SJF
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Problem with the garbage collector, perhaps
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:09:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I've been playing about with knocking up a little
calendar with Blox/Tk, but when I try to launch my
masterpiece, gst either aborts, or hangs with the
message "Scavenging...". I'm blaming the garbage
collector because very minor alterations to my code
tip it from aborting to hanging and vice versa.

Here's a backtrace from an abort (although I don't
always get one):
"Global garbage collection... done"
"Scavenging... 0% reclaimed, done"
"Scavenging... 44% reclaimed, done"
"Scavenging... run.st:1: Aborted
run.st:1: Error occurred while not in byte code
interpreter!!
/lib/libc.so.6[0x40050478]
/lib/libc.so.6(abort+0x153)[0x40051a53]
gst[0x806118e]
gst[0x808812b]
/lib/libc.so.6[0x40050478]
gst[0x80627f7]
gst(_gst_scavenge+0x14c)[0x80618bc]
gst[0x8086965]
gst(_gst_send_message_internal+0x175)[0x807f115]
gst(_gst_interpret+0x4347)[0x80836d7]
/usr/lib/libtcl8.3.so(_GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_+0x0)[0x443aa2e8]
Aborted

The global garbage collection is from me saving the
image prior to launching my code.

Here's a backtrace from when it hangs which seems like
it might also contain useful info - I Ctrl-C'd it
after maybe 20s:

"Global garbage collection... done"
"Scavenging... 59% reclaimed, done"
"Scavenging... run.st:1: Interrupt
/lib/libc.so.6[0x40050478]
gst(_gst_copy_an_oop+0x67)[0x8062357]
gst(_gst_copy_processor_registers+0x2f)[0x8085e9f]
gst[0x80627f2]
gst(_gst_scavenge+0x14c)[0x80618bc]
gst[0x8086965]
gst(_gst_send_message_internal+0x175)[0x807f115]
gst(_gst_interpret+0x3e85)[0x8083215]
gst(_gst_nvmsg_send+0x152)[0x8085d72]
gst(_gst_vmsg_send+0x51)[0x8068641]
[0x2b]

I'll perform any tests you think might be useful, and
you can have the code for the calendar as well (there
isn't very much of it).

Regards,

Mike