Re: [Help-smalltalk] Problem with the garbage collector, perhaps

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Problem with the garbage collector, perhaps
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:40:02 +0100

> Please forgive this a dumb question, but, not having
> experience of developing with C, how do I interpret
> the backtrace? Is there some kind of map file
> generated, or do I have to get to grips with gdb?

The backtrace is not the definitive source of information.  But at least it
shows the function names so I (and you) can indeed track the bug to an
infinite loop in the copying collector.  To get more exact information
(including arguments to the functions, for example) you have to use gdb or
possibly add some of the debugging hooks that are found here and there in
gst's source code (usually at the top of .c files).

It might also help to compile with --enable-debug.

I think that after this bug is solved I am ready to release a 2.1 definitive
prerelease (that is, I'll upload it as smalltalk-2.1-pre.tar.gz on
alpha.gnu.org and then move that same tarball to ftp.gnu.org if nobody
complains).  I guestimate that the final release can be done around Easter.

My earliest projection had been to release in February, but the architectural
changes in 2.1 are impressive (GC, processes and debugging are the biggest),
so I think it deserves a big feature-freeze period (which has started early
in February); thanks to everyone who has been tracking the development
series.