[Help-smalltalk] 2.1-pre debian package

From: Brett Cundal
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] 2.1-pre debian package
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:55:28 -0800

Hiya,

I just tested out my Debian package with the new 2.1-pre sources and
encountered a problem. The compile goes fine, but the stage where it
builds an image fails:

cd
/tmp/buildd/gnu-smalltalk-2.1-pre/debian/gnu-smalltalk/usr/share/gnu-smalltalk;
\
SMALLTALK_KERNEL="`pwd`/kernel"; \
SMALLTALK_IMAGE="`pwd`"; \
  /tmp/buildd/gnu-smalltalk-2.1-pre/debian/gnu-smalltalk/usr/bin/gst
  $srcdir/Finish.st -VisqS -a
  "/tmp/buildd/gnu-smalltalk-2.1-pre/debian/gnu-smalltalk"
"Scavenging... 0% reclaimed, done"
gst: can't find system file
'/usr/share/gnu-smalltalk/kernel/Builtins.st'
gst: image bootstrap failed, set SMALLTALK_KERNEL to the directory
name

I haven't investigated very far yet, but it looks similar to the
problem I was having a while back with paths being incorrect in the
kernel image. It's undoubtedly caused by the same situation - building an
image in DESTDIR rather than the final installation location. It
should be looking for everything in DESTDIR, which seems to have
worked fine in previous versions...

Anyhow, I'll poke around some more with it, but I wanted to make sure
this bug was known before 2.1 releases. It looks like most people
won't encounter it if they're not doing funny stuff with DESTDIR.

-- Brett