Re: [Help-smalltalk] [2.1-pre] Debian Woody unstable (Pentium 4)

From: Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] [2.1-pre] Debian Woody unstable (Pentium 4)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:49:57 +0200

> I  am compiling 2.1-pre  with the  patch smalltalk-2.1-pre-2.1.diff.gz
> applied,    and    the    attached    modifications    to    get    an
> error-and-warning-free  build (even  with  --enable-warnings given  to
> configure, what a playful day ;-) )

Thank you very much.  I did not understand the exact purpose of the gendoc.awk
hunks,
though.

> Breakpoint 1, printf_string (stream=0x83230e8, pinfo=0xbfffde90, args=0x6)
>     at format.c:1151
> (gdb) print *p
> $32 = 79 'O'
> (gdb) cont
> Continuing.

This should not be wrong.  printf_string is called from printf_oop, so it looks
like it
is printing something on the lines of "Object new <0x40001438>".

I don't know what __overflow is, though -- it is probably something related to
glibc's
stdio implementation.

I have tested on Debian Linux as well and did not encounter it, and there is
going to
be a Debian unstable package for 2.1; the only hint I can give is that GNU
Smalltalk
will only give SIGSEGVs for stack overflows or for wrong memory accesses
sufficiently
near to the stacks -- the others are trapped by the garbage collector and
turned to
SIGABRTs.