Re: [Help-smalltalk] Just a few questions

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Just a few questions
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:28:48 +0200

> How do I get at the contents of the system Transcript, or how do I
> intercept them without rewriting printNl in 'Object'?

You cannot get the contents of the system transcript because it is just
stdout.  You can however modify the message that is mapped to 'Transcript
show: ...' and intercept it this way -- that's what the GUI does.  grep
^Transcript kernel/*.st should give you a hint.

> Is there a way to run code automatically at startup (code that is in the
> image, I know how to 'run' a file)?

Yes.  "ObjectMemory addDependent: YourClassName" and then add this *class*
method to YourClassName

update: eventName
    eventName = #returnFromSnapshot ifFalse: [ ^self ].
    what-to-do.

Note that the LGPL requires you to provide a way to enter the standard
read-eval-print loop so that one can modify the base classes.

> I ran across 'Semaphore' - is gnu smalltalk multithreaded, and how
> serious is the threading (cooperative or pre-emptive)?

Preemptive, but not round robin by default.  That is, the Delay and
Semaphore classes do preempt lower-priority process, as does I/O, but
there's no time quantum by default.  The threads are user-level, not
kernel-mode (not pthreads).