[Help-smalltalk] Various bits to do with Gtk bindings

From: Mike Anderson
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Various bits to do with Gtk bindings
Date: 16 Dec 2003 00:53:13 +0000

I've been bringing my Gtk work into line. Quite long post following...

(1)
Is it too late to suggest that message sends like:

myWindow setDefaultSizeWidth: 300 height: 180.

GtkAlignment newXalign: 0.5 yalign: 0.5 xscale: 1.0 yscale: 1.0.

make a bit more sense than:

myWindow setDefaultSize: 300 height: 180.

GtkAlignment new: 0.5 yalign: 0.5 xscale: 1.0 yscale: 1.0.

funcs.awk.diff attached makes the change (multiple parameter messages
get the first parameter name tacked on to the end of the function name).
I humbly volunteer to correct the shipped examples if you agree.

(2)
Moving on, could we not allow signals to bind to any method, not just
similarly named ones? I was thinking that it would be useful in order to
be able to post Gtk programs with a minimum of fuss. Is there an
advantage to doing it the way it is done? gst-gtk.c.diff is how I have
it.

(3)
I've been having difficulties with trees - the fact that GtkTreeModel
and GtkTreeStore map to unrelated classes makes using them difficult,
since GtkTreeModel holds the reading methods and GtkTreeStore the
writing ones. Is there any problem with making GtkTreeModel the parent
of GtkTreeStore and GtkListStore?

(4)
Finally, by my reckoning,

GObject
        defineCFunc: 'bloxGtkFreeGObjectOOP'
        withSelectorArgs: 'free'
        returning: #void
        args: #()!

should be

GObject
        defineCFunc: 'bloxGtkFreeGObjectOOP'
        withSelectorArgs: 'free'
        returning: #void
        args: #( #self )!

Mind you, I also get a seg fault during scavenging, so something else is
going on that I don't follow. I'll provide details when I can reproduce
it in a convenient way.

Mike