Re: [Help-smalltalk] character ^ is missing in Squeak 3.6

From: MSA or SJF
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] character ^ is missing in Squeak 3.6
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 01:10:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:

> > character ^ (caret) is missing in Squeak 3.6
> windows full version.
> > When i type it Up Arrow symbol is printed.
>
> This is not a Squeak mainling list but I can answer
> this: it is correct,
> Squeak's font replaces ^ by an up arrow.  You cannot
> get a caret from squeak.

To expand on that a little bit: you will also find
that you cannot type an underscore - that character
displays as a left arrow. These were the original
characters assigned to these keys, and Squeak has
retained them because they make method source code
look better. If you want to complain about that, you
should seek out a Squeak list.

Regards,

Mike