[Help-smalltalk] Re: /bin/sh execution of st scripts.

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: /bin/sh execution of st scripts.
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:04:09 +0200

> Absolutely. My current plan is to edit primitive op 11 (thanks Bruce) to
> remove the first line during file in, for the first file filed in, and
> only when a global flag has been set.

I've taken a different approach, modifying the grammar to allow an initial
special SHARP_BANG token and accepting that token only at line 1, column 1.

I'm keeping this in, but I agree that your -s option is better than gst-run.
So I'm dropping the gst-run idea and adding a "gst -f" option: that is the
same as -a, except that the immediately following argument is taken as a
filename.

> The only other thing needed, IIRC, is to get at argv[0] where the
> scripts name will be.

No, argv[0] will be the path to gst (otherwise the gst-run trick won't
work!).  The script is in argv[1], or argv[2] if there are options.

> Anyway, this is something I'd like to do for fun.. probably next
> weekend.

My free time is very frammentary, so I actually already did most of this,
except -f (and I did a few additional goodies like installing Load.st as
gst-load).  Unfortunately a CVS repository is not feasible until I am on a
56k dialup line (I did it for sed because it's changed not so often and for
lightning because it is in perennial beta state :-) but GNU Smalltalk is too
big).

I'm going away next week.  I hope I can do a beta on Friday, 2.1.9 will wait
until I come back so that you can report problems with the beta's GTK+
stuff.