[Help-smalltalk] Re: A few comments on the Gtk+ bindings

From: Robert Collins
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: A few comments on the Gtk+ bindings
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:11:21 +1000

On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 09:43 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> >>2) change gtkview to connected, gtkobject to container.  gtkobject
> >>should answer "^self connected" (i.e. the gtkview) in all objects but
> >>BViewports; and BViewports should get the implementation you have in
> >>BList and BText (because even though there is duplicated code, existing
> >>hierarchies are there for a purpose :-).
> >
> > I suspect the existing hierarchy is wrong for gtk
>
> I don't think so.

Well... we'll see :). I'm not suggesting browser code changes for this,
just possible factorings in Blox/gtk.

> > , that things should
> > move somewhat. Do you mean mean gtkview the method, or the instance
> > variable? Ditto for gtkobject.
>
> Both.

I'll do so.

> > I.e. the browser makes heavy use of Forms, which conflicts with the GTK
> > 'gtk manages layout' concept: all the auto resizing and other widgets
> > are not designed for that. Changing the browser to use OrderedForm
> > rather than Form throughout makes this a lot easier: but you need to add
> > the OrderedForm>>horizontal: message to be able to layout the browser
> > windows properly.
>
> That's fine for me as long as it still works for TK.

Excellent. It should, as TK already has the ability to do horizontal
layouts. TK isn't building for me though - something funny in my setup I
guess - so... I can't say that it does or doesn't.

>   But note that I
> wrote the GTK placer exactly to make Blox/GTK easier.  After all users
> care about the appearance and not about what geometry manager is used (I
> understand though that it is a bit rough to have a VBox for the menu
> *and* a placer for the remaining widgets).  We've already had a similar
> discussion with Mike Anderson a few months ago.  :-)

I'll look it up in the archives. Having Window[VBox[]Placer[]] is fine.
GtkLayout though, is a pixel-perfect layout engine, did you consider
using it ?

> > Whats in the patch you attached? An updated copy of my patch?
>
> The bits that I applied to my development sources.

Cool. I've updated the 2.1 branch, and applied the formatting changes to
the full gtk-bindings branch.

> Ah, go ahead and rip the invocations of #font: from the browser as I
> have moved them to Blox/TK (yay).

Thanks!

Rob