Re: [Help-smalltalk] libffi - why the copy, and what changes ?

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] libffi - why the copy, and what changes ?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:12:32 +1000

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 09:21 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > a) Why do we bundle libffi in rather than requiring it be installed for
> > us to build?
>
> Because no released version of libffi is current enough.  I periodically
> update libffi from gcc's CVS repository.
>
> > b) What does Benno need to do to be able to build gst ?
>
> He tried on 2.1.8 which does not have libffi.

He was trying on 2.1f from arch. - When you update libffi, is it just a
copy - no local changes needed ?

> find . | tr A-Z a-z | sort | uniq -d
>
> or something like that.

Yep. Sounds like you are with that, so I'll do it.

> As for the archive, I have a few questions on off-line operation, which
> would be 99% of what I need to publish the archive:

Right - you have an archive, and a mirror of it. You work in your
archive, and archive-mirror to the mirror when you have time/connection.

> 1) are all mirrors the same?  That is, if I want to do the initial
> upload on a fast connection, can I create the mirror on
> sftp://address@hidden/..., tar the mirror and upload it to
> sourcecontrol.net?

Yes. Mirrors are just instances of the archive, with the mirror 'bit'
set.

> 2) what operations can I do on a mirror?  I wrote a script to
> automatically create cacherevs, but I'd rather not upload 4 Megs of
> repository on a 56k connection whenever a cacherev is created.  Can I
> create cacherevs on the mirror?

Yes. You can ssh to the host the mirror is on, run
'tla register-archive ~/path/to/mirror'
'tla cacherev some-revision-path'

> 3) what is the difference between using arch's mirror and running a "tla
> star-merge" command on sourcecontrol.net (not "tla update" because the
> two archives must be physically independent in order to do the cacherev
> trick on sourcecontrol.net)?

A mirror makes all the history available of what you do, so that I can
merge from you: it lets arch figure out how much of my code you have
merged, and what code it should therefor merge from you.

A checked out copy doesn't have all the individual changesets, so its
not sufficient.

Rob